Sunday, November 15, 2009

What is Wrong With People?????

Maddison has been returned from her new family. It turns out the couple who adopted her have two children who terrorized her for two weeks before returning her to the shelter. Evidently she was cringing in the back of the carrier when she was returned and didn't want anyone to touch her. Why did it take them two weeks to realize that their kids weren't ready to own a pet?Another foster mom took her home where she developed a severe inner ear infection. She was traumatized from the whole ordeal.

When Barb told me this had happened she hadn't been to the vets yet. I was told that Maddison was walking in circles with her head tilted at an odd angle. My first thought was that the kids had done something to her and she had brain damage. I didn't sleep much that night and the next day she had a vet visit and it turns out the inner ear infection is causing the tilted head and trouble walking. I told Barb that I wanted to be the one to nurse her back to health.

I met Lynne in Orillia yesterday and gave her Bubbles and she gave me Maddison. Maddison was very quiet on the way home but as soon as I got in the door of the house she started meowing and wanted out of the carrier ASAP. I picked her up and she started purring and rubbing up against me and was very excited. She remembered me and the home that she had had for three months before the adoption. She went out in the kitchen and had a little something to eat and then she went and checked out all the cats. It was like she had never left.

She has lost an awful lot of weight and when she walks or runs she loses her balance. Her head is still tilted at an angle but that should go away once the medication takes effect. Winston hisses at her every time she goes near him but I think that's because she was given a bath before she came home and you can smell the shampoo on her. It doesn't stop her from rubbing her head against him though. I'm sure he'll come around.

Maddison did not lose her loving nature while going through that ordeal and hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon.

No comments: